Tuesday, August 21, 2012

He will be missed...

 
After many years on earth, my Grandpa Premo passed away this past Saturday. My family and most of my extended were in the room when he passed, and I wish I could have been there too. It's hard being so far away from my family during this hurting time.

Grandpa Premo was one of my favorite people in the world, he is my grandpa after all! There are so many qualities about him that I, and many others, love; qualities that make him absolutely precious to us.

When I think of my grandpa, I think of a man who always put his family first and took care of them no matter what. He was always there for us. I knew I was always welcome at their place and we would have a good time.

When I was younger, I looked forward to whenever we got to go to Bemidji and see my grandparents. They made us great food and we played a ton of games :) One time when we were going to Bemidji, we thought it would be a fun idea to surprise them. So we pull up in the driveway, rang the doorbell, and ran away leaving Jett by their front door. Grandpa opens the door and we could hear him say "there's no one here but a dumb black dog". He obviously didn't recognize Jett ;) then we came back around the corner laughing and Grandma and Grandpa were so thrilled to see us!

The first thing that will always pop into my head when I hear the word Grandpa is marbles. Yes, marbles. The game that Grandpa made and everyone in our family knows how to play :) I even got my own board mailed to me at college, sparking some interesting comments on my oddly shaped package. And all of my friends at college know the game marbles as 'The Grandpa Game'. They'll ask, "Can we play grandpa?" It's so great.

Another memory I am so happy I got to share with my grandpa is when my cousins Lynsi, Wendy, and I got anchor tattoos like his in honor of him. It was cool having him there with us :)



I am going to miss him, but I am glad he isn't in pain anymore. He left us with many great memories and the best example of what a true father, grandfather, and great-grandfather should be.

Rest in peace Grandpa...you will forever be in our hearts.

Walter Kenneth Premo
December 22nd, 1927-August 18th, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment