Friday, January 20, 2012

"Hi, I majored in English. Would you like fries with that?"

I wonder about myself sometimes. 

When and why did I decide that choosing to major in English would be a good idea?

Like I said before, I was really nervous and excited for my classes to start. I'm glad to finally able to be in classes that involve my major. At the same time, it's going to be a lot of work.
In one of my English classes, my professor has been saying how much society looks down on humanities majors (like English). I already knew that and it doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the fact that he keeps saying how hard it is to find a job with an English major and how some writers are just happy working at McDonald's and writing on the side.

That is not me.

I will not be happy working at McDonald's.

I have hope though. My professor calls it "being romantic" because we English majors apparently have such high hopes and dreams which are great but at the same time unrealistic. We all think we will "make it big" someday. I can relate to that!

This is why sometimes I believe choosing English as my major might be the best and worst decision of my life.

So he tells us how hard it is for us and how people majoring in English and other humanities majors are declining these days, but then he tells us to stick with it! The world needs more of us! But the fact that he keeps saying how hard it is and not everyone can handle being an English major makes me want to change my major sometimes! I know he isn't saying it negatively though, because I think he does believe in us.

We were discussing in class how being English majors, we are all creative and like to think and explore things. We are thinkers, dreamers, and believers. We think outside the box. 

Other majors, like math and science, are all about equations and exact things. Not too imaginative.

Therefore, the world does need English majors and I am proud to be one of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment